'Poster Boy' by Good Shout
Poster Boy is a lovely story by Tracey Flynn made by Good Shout/Alladi Films. Starring Stephanie de Whalley as an agoraphobic young woman who fights her fears and opens herself to a world of possibility. Filmed by an ambitious group of young filmmakers in London on a shoestring budget.
Read 'Poster Boy' HERE
First cut: Producers notes for the filmmakers
- So this film needs some work, but it can be turned around.
- When we see her drawing furiously, I feel like I want to see what she is drawing – do you have a cutaway?
- Use the music to help us feel when she moves back and forth from her manic states. Try it out, it may be too much though.
- One good comment below is the possibility of a voice over written by Tracey – this may be a last resort, but if done with charm, and NEVER to explain what is happening on screen (rather to reflect in a way that we figure out what’ happening), then it could work.
- Consider dropping the origami note at the end as it does not make sense as she did not take it from him – or do a pickup shoot where she grabs it. Either way the logic must work.
- Consider use of atmospheres – or maybe atmosFEAR – when she is in her introverted manic state, it could be oppressive, and when she is in her happy state it could be light birdsong. Support the narrative with audio.
- Some good notes from people below on possible reshoots if the team can go there.
- Rather than shortening, we may need to spend more time in her crazy world to really get her fear - sound and close ups will help here.
- Final note, this was one of my favourite scripts and I would encourage everyone involved to go the distance to see if it can be improved with rediting, remixing, new music choices, possible voice over and possible pick up shoots. I know the screenwriter Tracey Flynn is already reaching out to the filmmakers.
- If you do consider a reshoot, get in touch so we can properly consider what needs restructuring